Coach clients individually according to their fitness needs, through an agreed exercise/physical activity plan and assist with behavioural change.
A personal trainer’s role includes designing, implementing and evaluating exercise/physical activity programmes for a range of individual clients by collecting and analyzing client information to ensure the effectiveness of personal exercise programmes. A personal trainer should also actively encourage potential clients/members to participate in and adhere to regular exercise/physical activity programmes, employing appropriate motivational strategies to achieve this.
The qualified personal trainer will be able to:
- Collect information relating to individual clients
- Carry out fitness assessments to establish client fitness and skill level
- Analyse information relating to individual clients
- Identify, agree and review short, medium and long term goals to ensure the effectiveness of exercise programmes
- Provide a range of exercise programmes in accordance with the needs of the clients by applying principles of exercise programming
- Make best use of the environment in which clients are exercising
- Provide clients with accurate information on the principles of nutrition and weight management
- Develop and applying strategies to motivate clients to join and adhere to an exercise programme
- Deliver good customer service and be a positive role model at all times and keep up to date with industry developments
- Promote healthy activities and related strategies for daily living to clients/members
- Make the appropriate decisions relating to clients and their programmes/goals and, where required, refer the client to a more appropriate professional
- Work within the parameters given at Level 3, recognizing the standards and professional limitations that this provides, referring to appropriate members of staff for guidance and support.