A (Pre)Diabetes Exercise Specialist(PDES) has a role which includes designing, implementing, evaluating and supervising exercise/physical activity programmes for (pre)diabetes clients by collecting and analysing client information to ensure the effectiveness and safety of personal exercise programmes. As part of a team with other professionals, however, the or a PDES can contribute significantly and uniquely in helping the (pre)diabetes clients to improve their health and life through a monitored and specific exercise programme.
(Pre)Diabetes Exercise Specialists are fitness professionals who are using an individualized approach, to assess and motivate (pre)diabetes clients to an active and healthy lifestyle. They also have the priority to educate and provide the training of this type of special population. The (Pre)Diabetes Exercise Specialist will analyse and evaluate clients’ health and fitness needs, they work preventively and are always in a multidisciplinary collaboration with healthcare professionals.
The (Pre)Diabetes Exercise Specialistshould be able to:
- Analyse and implement an exercise management program for this metabolic disorder (pre)diabetes;
- Employ exercise protocols within the realm of personal training for (pre)diabetes;
- Examine and integrate physicians’ recommendations into the personal training exercise program for (pre)diabetes clients;
- Educate the (pre)diabetes participant on the response of the body to exercise, during and after exercise;
- Identify safe, effective, and targeted rehabilitation exercises for this special population;
- Recognize and respond to emergency situations;
- Receive referrals from and refer clients to other healthcare providers as appropriate.